I am having a love affair with baked eggs. And, it’s not just ’cause they’re easy (although, you know that’s always a bonus). Baked eggs come out perfectly and you can pair them with almost anything. This time I went with a Baked Eggs with Lentils Recipe that came about out of necessity. I wanted something that was a bit indulgent. I needed something loaded with goodness. And, I was restricted by what was in my cupboards and fridge thanks to the crazy frigid temps of what they call the First Day of Spring.
Since I was feeling so romantic I had to spice it up, of course. I could not think of a better way to use up the Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant and Garlic from Trader Joe’s that has been sad and neglected in the fridge door. I had to step it up on the spices still, but a little indulgence left me thinking spicy sausage, and what you are left with is a satiating Baked Eggs with Lentils Recipe. Guilt-free satisfaction.
Baked Eggs with Lentils Recipe
1/2 Cup French Green Lentils
1/2 Pound Lean Sausage
1/4 White Onion
1/2 Jar of Trader Joe’s Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant and Garlic
Drizzle of EVOO
1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Dash Red Pepper Flakes
1. Bring lentils to boil in full pot of water (I added a teaspoon or so of salt to the water)
2. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, until soft
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
5. Brown sausage on medium heat in large, deeper saute pan with salt, pepper and spices 4-6 minutes
6. Flip sausage and add chopped onion and EVOO
7. Add Red Pepper/Eggplant Spread and cooked lentils
8. Fill ramekins 3/4 full of mixture
9. Crack one egg into each ramekin
10. Bake for 20 minutes
You could definitely be less indulgent and keep it vegetarian (and dairy-free!) by spicing up the lentils and leaving the sausage behind. This is a delicious and satisfying dish for brunch or dinner.