As all good grandfathers and great-uncles alike confirm – there is a sure-fire way to a man’s heart – through his stomach. This is why my traditional Derby Pie has been coined, Win A Guy Pie. In case you’re ever out looking for a guy of your very own, look no further and turn to this simple knock-out of a pie. It has something for everybody and is sure to impress that cute neighbor or it can really light a fire under your too-comfortable boyfriend. Or, hell. This pie alone is better than any boyfriend on a lonely night, for that matter.
This rich and decadent pie can really be taken anyway you want it.
- Sweet and Salty – add less chocolate chips, more walnuts and a dash of nutmeg (1/2 tablespoon)
- Smooth and Rich - add more chocolate chips and some good ol’ Bourbon (up to 1/4 cup)
- Sweet and Spicy - add some ginger (1/2 teaspoon) or cinnamon (up to 1 tablespoon)
- Short and Sweet - just add a dash of vanilla (up to 1 tablespoon)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts (this is not PECAN PIE!)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Pie Crust
- Fold and crimp edges of pie crust into the pie plate
- Set oven to 350 Degrees
- Melt butter for 30 seconds on 50% power
- Whisk eggs
- Add the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter until smooth, don't worry about small chunks
- Sprinkle in salt and any secret ingredients you choose, whisk
- Pour mixture into the pie crust
- Sprinkle evenly with walnuts and chocolate chips
- Bake for at least 45 minutes (if you see the crust getting too dark, add aluminum foil to cover around the edges)
This is truly a fool-proof pie. You just can’t go wrong! Let it sit, but serve warm with whipped cream (there are some fun flavored whipped cream recipes out there that work perfectly with this – I suggest googling Flavored Whipped Cream recipes.